Dal is a popular simple but flavorful Indian dish. Each state in India has its favorite selection of dal, A dal can be made from many different types of beans and change depending on the region of India. This creamy dal recipe is both nourishing and satisfying. While every version of this mellow dish is much-loved by Indians for its simple yet deeply comforting taste.
This creamy dal recipe is both nourishing and satisfying. While every version of this mellow dish is much-loved by Indians for its simple yet deeply comforting taste.
Author: Medicinal Diet
- 3 T C coconut oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- 6 leaves curry (if available) if not you can use 1 tsp of curry powder
SPICES (these measurements are guidelines)
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 T grated ginger
- Place a large pot over your smallest burner set to medium heat. Add the coconut oil (you can also use ghee) and the onions, ginger, and a couple of pinches of salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are sweet and golden, around 5 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves and mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start to pop add the rest of the spices. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the washed and rinsed lentils, stock, and coconut milk and when it starts bubbling reduce the heat to low.
- Let the dal bubble away for 25 minutes or so or until the lentils collapse and the dal becomes beautifully creamy. Stirring here and there. You can add more water if you need.
- Add the spinach and the diced tomato at the end and cook for 5 more minutes
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary and add a squeeze of lemon.
- Serve with fresh coriander leaf (cilantro)
- Optionally serve with some creamy coconut yogurt
This recipe also works well with split yellow lentils or mung beans
Leave a Reply